Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Wonderful pie

I have a sweet tooth and usually when something is too sweet for others, I love it. But, pecan pies have always seemed sickingly sweet to me. A lady I work with told me she found a recipe for a pecan pie that used oatmeal to cut down on the sweetness. I decided to give it a try for Thanksgiving.

My best friend, Sandy, and I always have Thanksgiving at her house with her family and mine. We split the cooking up. Since she was making pumpkin pies, I decided to bring a pecan pie. I ended up making two. I used the Oatmeal Pecan Pie recipe and a pecan pie recipe that didn't use any corn syrup.

Here is the recipe for the Oatmeal Pecan Pie:

Ingredients:
1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
Cooking spray
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup regular oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325°.
Roll dough into an 11-inch circle. Fit into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Fold edges under; flute.

Combine brown sugar and remaining ingredients, stirring well with a whisk. Pour into prepared crust. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.



I was all ready to make the pie when I noticed that the recipe called for regular oats. I had bought the Quaker quick oats. I hoped that it would turn out okay. I also added to few pecan halves on top of the pie to make it look prettier. BTW, this is the first time I fluted the edges of a pie like that. Not too bad for a beginner!

The pie was absolutely delicious! It was a hit and has now been added to my Thanksgiving recipe collection. The pie was sweet, but not too sweet.

The pecan pie without the corn syrup was also very good, but the other one was much better.

No comments: